• Login:

Welcome to the The Sedona Method Community Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Thinking the worst will happen, how to break the cycle

Thanks

Thinking the worst will happen, how to break the cycle

I have worked through the Sedona Method and have just started listening to Beyond Letting Go and am finding some great relief from the Method.

My struggle seems to be that I have a general view that the worst will always happen (nd if I don't then the worst WILL definitely happen). I have released on individual problems and memories and this helps but even when I look back at my Best Story (Beyond Letting Go disk 3) that comes with a sense that something bad or negative will result from it. I guess I have a general belief that something bad is just around the corner in any given situation during each day.

Occasionally, after releasing I feel positive about the future but then almost immediately the negative thoughts (or rather doomsday feelings) return. Is this because I am trying to hold onto the positive feelings rather than letting go of them? In fact I feel a little frightened by the good feelings after releasing as I don't want those bad feelings to return (and then of course they do).

Any suggestions on how to break this cycle as releasing is creating a kind of roller coaster at the moment of highs and then slipping back into a low? How do I stop myself constantly slipping back to the negative?

Thanks
    tky
    www.sedona.com Home of the Sedona Method
    www.lettinggo.tv The Letting Go Movie
    http://apps.lettinggo.tv 5 Letting Go Mobile Apps

Letting Go Big Talker
    Thanks
    Hi Tky
    I can relate to what you write here, as I used to feel the same way - and ‘used to’ could mean up to fraction of a second ago!
    Seriously, what I’ve noticed is that the frequency and intensity with which I have these sorts of feelings has decreased. I’m more able observe them and not get caught up in them. If you are trying to stop yourself reacting in this way, instead could you welcome the thoughts and feelings? Since you have Beyond Letting Go, I suggest you listen to to the track: “Tendency to want to hold on.” It helped me a lot. (disc 2 track 5)
    You wrote:
    My struggle seems to be that I have a general view that the worst will always happen (nd if I don't then the worst WILL definitely happen).
    I can so, so l relate to that, particularly the part in brackets. I used to be afraid that if I stop being afraid, everything I feared would happen. It’s a great way to stay stuck, but not such a great way to relax and find freedom! Just keep releasing: you are getting results, feeling positive for a few moments. Even if the negative thoughts come "almost immediately" that’s progress.

I’ve had several coaching sessions with Liesbeth and worked on this issue. Some things she said that really helped were:
    the negative thoughts are just your mind trying to help,
    it’s all a memory - even expecting ‘bad’ things to happen in the future is a memory - it has to be because the future hasn’t happened yet,
    instead of worrying about whether or not you are holding on to positive feelings, just welcome them (the worry that you are holding on is again mind wanting to control)
    The more you notice that all of this is just mind trying to ‘figure it out’ the easier it will be to observe it and not see it as who you are, so not get caught up in it.

You could also do the triple welcoming on wanting to "stop myself constantly slipping back to the negative” .
    Welcome the belief that you do this, welcome all the images that go with that, and all the memories - my guess is you have memories to ‘prove’ you do this, so welcome them.
    Welcome all your wanting to push this away, or to hold on to it (including replaying it in your mind, writing about it etc)
    Welcome the feeling that it’s personal, this is you, it’s your pattern etc.
    And then allow that to dissolve.
    Hope this is of some help. Thanks for your post, every time I reply to someone it helps me release too.
    Last edited by Evie; 06-20-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks
    Evie,

Thanks so much for the reply and valuable insight. It is much appreciated.

The idea that imagined future danger, threat or disaster is a memory is an intersting thought as I had viewed them as my mind creating new imagined threats whether real or not, rather than seeing it as a memory. It is certainly a feeling and I have had success with seperating feelings and emotions from the I or me, but once I release on the feeling my mind seems to find a new or slightly different story to bring up the fears and anxieties again.

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    the negative thoughts are just your mind trying to help,
    it’s all a memory - even expecting ‘bad’ things to happen in the future is a memory - it has to be because the future hasn’t happened yet,
    instead of worrying about whether or not you are holding on to positive feelings, just welcome them (the worry that you are holding on is again mind wanting to control)
    The more you notice that all of this is just mind trying to ‘figure it out’ the easier it will be to observe it and not see it as who you are, so not get caught up in it.
    I am particularly struck by the notion that my mind is just trying to help by figuring it out, and I suppose believes it is helping protect me from danger, even though this is a future danger imagined or not. Letting go of the comfort I feel by having my mind figuring out constantly is hard, as I have been wearing this protective suit of armour for many years now and removing it feels both incredibly peaceful, and at the same time (or just after) vunerable which is the cue for my mind to step back in and start figuring out things again.

I will try the "Tendency to want to hold on" track you suggest and have also started using the Letting Go of Fear app.
    And thanks for the triple welcoming, these are all helping so much.

Tky
    Last edited by tky; 06-21-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Sedona Method Coach
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hello Tky,

You are doing fine and are definitely on the right track. When we decide to go in the direction of freedom or self awareness, what you're experiencing is quite normal. Because we've been suppressing these negative emotions throughout our lives it can temporarily feel worse, however, this phase will pass. Simply allow yourself to be persistent; and, as you acknowledge your gains, you will begin to notice longer periods of relief and a more natural, lasting, positive outlook. Even the "lows" will feel "higher" and will pass much sooner!

"I have a general belief that something bad is just around the corner in any given situation during each day."

A powerful process "Dissolving Beliefs" can be found in TSM course workbook, page 108; CD 11, track 3.
    You can also apply the triple welcoming process to each belief. I highly recommend it!

Annrika
    Licensed Instructor: Sedona Method Seminars and Coaching
    Last edited by Annrika James; 06-21-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Annrika James Sedona Method Licensed Instructor & Certified Coach
    www.sedonareleasingworldwide.com
    info@sedonareleasingworldwide.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annrika James For This Useful Post:

mike.harley (06-29-2011)

Thanks
    Hi Annrika,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am still relatively new to releasing, but it is quickly becoming an (un)conscious part of my life.
    I am working on Dissolving Beliefs, as well as trying to use the Triple Welcoming process, which I am becoming more familiar with each day.
    Welcoming is counter intuitive to the act of wanting to control the feeling/fear, but I have now experienced the release that comes from allowing myself to welcome feelings, pictures and sounds even if it can be a little painful in doing so.

Tky.

Sedona Method Coach
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Tky,

The mind is programmed to protect the body, i.e. if you are too near a flame it sends a signal to the body to withdraw. It is very helpful in this way. What is not helpful, and often counterproductive, are all the negative thoughts and feelings based on past memories. These are never relevant in present circumstances and even cloud our ability to see and take appropriate action.

The quieter the mind, the more your own intuitive knowingness shines through. In the midst of a challenging situation (I'm aware that you live in Japan) the mind is constructive and cooperative. You are calm and in control and free to take the right action.

It behoves us to let go and trust our intuitive knowingness and clear reason! Evie's releasing tips are very supportive in this direction.

All the best,
    Annrika
    Annrika James Sedona Method Licensed Instructor & Certified Coach
    www.sedonareleasingworldwide.com
    info@sedonareleasingworldwide.com

Visitors found this page by searching for:

always thinking the worst

thinking the worst will happen

always think the worst will happen

why do i always think the worst is going to happen

i always think the worst

always think the worst

how to stop always thinking the worst

why am i always thinking the worstwhy do i always think the worstalways thinking the worst is going to happenalways thinking the worst will happeni always think the worst will happeni always think the worst is going to happenfeeling the worst will happenwhat is it called when you think the worst will happenhow to stop thinking the worst will happensomeone always thinking the worstexpecting the worst to happeni always think the worst of thingswhy do i always think the worst will happenanxiety and thinking the worst will happenconstantly thinking the worstwhy do i think the worst will happenhow do i break the cycle of thinking of somethingi always think the worst will happen in any situation
SEO Blog