Dealing with gruesome / haunting images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with gruesome / haunting images

I've been working with the Sedona method for over 3 months now and have made quite some progress (mostly with focused releasing sessions on profound issues).

There is one thing that still bothers me. I can't get rid of some terrible images that keep appearing before my inner eye. It's all about knives and axes, cutting at and hacking off a particular body part. To make things worse, about a year ago I saw a French movie (a "comedy"!) where there was the statue of a Saint in a church, with exactly that body part cut off and placed on a tray...

The images with knives and axes appeared long before I actually got a disease in that body part (it's still there, not cut off yet, but it has a wound). For many years, I used to have tremendous diffulties in looking at bloody or violent images, real or in my mind (e.g. I had to stop reading "Roots"), because my body immediately reacted to what I saw or read. Every cell of my body seemed to respond to those images.

After releasing a lot, applying all ways as best I could, I can handle it a lot better. I have less physical reactions, I can now take care of my wound without feeling sick or almost fainting, the strange sensation of nausea I frequently had throughout the day is gone. From time to time, I allow myself to look at pictures that I used to reject. But that inner picture keeps coming up, vividly, and a couple of days ago, when reading only the headlines about a baby rhino hacked to pieces I felt that nausea again, and very strong. And I felt as if I hadn't made any progress at all.

So, my question: What is the best approach to handle this? Is it possible to eliminate it completely? For instance, how do people cope with war traumas? Or with "(cell) memories from a former life"?

I would be very grateful for some guidance.

Warm regards,
    canary

I suggest holistic releasing. Could I allow myself to like the image as much as I do? Could I allow myself to fear/dislike/ (choose or change) the image as much as I do, while it's in your mind. Repeat and answer each question 5 to 10 times, each time you see a image you find disturbing.

You could try welcoming the image, it might be a stretch.

Another thing you could do.

When an image appears next time, ask yourself could I allow myself to make the image less vivid? Yes or no. Even if you answer no, have a look what it is like smaller, black and white, washed out or faded more distant. Do it as often as necessary to let go of the image. Use the other ways of letting go as you have been, just add could I allow myself to see it in black and white instead of colour, faded, smaller etc. That might be a first step to making the images manageable.

Also consider getting coaching. You don't have to handle it alone.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by canary View Post
      I've been working with the Sedona method for over 3 months now and have made quite some progress (mostly with focused releasing sessions on profound issues).

There is one thing that still bothers me. I can't get rid of some terrible images that keep appearing before my inner eye. It's all about knives and axes, cutting at and hacking off a particular body part. To make things worse, about a year ago I saw a French movie (a "comedy"!) where there was the statue of a Saint in a church, with exactly that body part cut off and placed on a tray...

The images with knives and axes appeared long before I actually got a disease in that body part (it's still there, not cut off yet, but it has a wound). For many years, I used to have tremendous diffulties in looking at bloody or violent images, real or in my mind (e.g. I had to stop reading "Roots"), because my body immediately reacted to what I saw or read. Every cell of my body seemed to respond to those images.

After releasing a lot, applying all ways as best I could, I can handle it a lot better. I have less physical reactions, I can now take care of my wound without feeling sick or almost fainting, the strange sensation of nausea I frequently had throughout the day is gone. From time to time, I allow myself to look at pictures that I used to reject. But that inner picture keeps coming up, vividly, and a couple of days ago, when reading only the headlines about a baby rhino hacked to pieces I felt that nausea again, and very strong. And I felt as if I hadn't made any progress at all.

So, my question: What is the best approach to handle this? Is it possible to eliminate it completely? For instance, how do people cope with war traumas? Or with "(cell) memories from a former life"?

I would be very grateful for some guidance.

Warm regards,
      canary
      Hi canary!

Yes, it is possible to eliminate these things completely and any other memories including PTSD memories and cell memories...

See if you can notice any feeling that you are the body or that the body is you and could you welcome that feeling? Would it be OK if the feeling that you are the body or that the body is you just dissolved? If yes, when would that be OK? If no, can you notice the attachment to being a body? Can you welcome that? And then could you let that go? Could you let go of wanting to be a body?

Also, see if you can allow yourself to really go for the gruesome images and release on them. All the resistance is what's keeping them in place. My dear friend Susan Seifert uses a wonderful release process that would likely help with this. Ask yourself, would it be OK if those images were to receive a big warm welcome? Then could you allow that to happen. You don't have to be the source of the welcome or know how to do anything in order to answer that releasing question. Also, would it be OK if all the weaponry and gruesome images were to receive unconditional love? Again, you don't have to be the source of that love or know how to do anything so much as just answer the question. And the ask, could allow all the weaponry and gruesom images to receive unconditional infinite love?

Let us know how things unfold,
      Delilah
      www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Thank you so much, Alex and Delilah for your generous help.

Your different approaches somehow shed light into the "narrow and dark alley" I've been moving through (regarding releasing on this topic) and show me that there are many ways out.

I will start doing all of what you suggest tomorrow morning (releasing profound issues early in the morning allows me to turn to more pleasant things during the day, which grants me a good night's sleep without dreaming of the subjects I've been releasing on...)

To Alex:

- I only did one "round" of holistic releasing with this topic, and your suggestions show me that I stopped far too early, and that I should try with different wordings.
        - I was able to look at it shortly, but was afraid to do a full "Welcoming". I'll try again, doing it as Delilah describes below.
        - "... could I MAKE the image (different) ..." - wow, that's interesting! I never thought or felt I could actually do/change something about an image or my perception of it, I just felt overwhelmed and helpless. This new idea makes me feel I HAVE some control ;-)
        - I can't afford a coach right now, that's why I am so grateful for your generosity, for the time you dedicate helping others on this board. But I hope to soon be able to give something back. - There's one more thing: If I had the money right now, I would have a hard time choosing between all the wonderful coaches here!
        Thank you!

To Delilah:

- It's very comforting and encouraging to know that it is possible to eliminate these things.
        - Both your approaches feel a bit strange to me right now, but I will definitely do as you say. Because ...

... You already gave me some very helpful advice in November last year regarding goal statements / body (accepting and loving my body) and put me back on track. I was going to give you feedback, but I just wanted to wait another week or two to be sure the "problem" wouldn't pop up again. I do it here, because that thread is in the wrong section anyway. But it's a bit long, so please delete it after reading, if it's possible.

I did as you told me then, kept releasing, but dropped the whole "goal business" for the time being and kept working through the book instead, applying everything on the body and especially self-esteem/approval. Later on, I decided to approach releasing in a more playful way, not so dead seriously (I wasn't able to apply it regarding those images, though). I gave my subconscious mind a very nice name, and on every releasing "session" I asked her to deliver whatever she had heaped up or in the data-base on the respective subject. And then something very funny happened.

In late December I repeated the Advantages/Disadvantages process. I've been strongly influenced by a very critical environment, where perfectionism and discipline reigned, where it was difficult to feel "good enough" in many respects.
        Well, this time I got some very surprising "answers" on the Disadvantage side of self-approval:
        1. "The (inner) driver (the one with the whip) is out of work". ....... What??? And then the same again. - I thought this was a nice joke and said okay, "he" had done his share and could retire now, go to some nice Caribbean island or so. I didn't really need him anymore...
        Then the next disadvantage:
        2. "The critic is out of work"..
        I could hardly believe this. Was I loosing my mind? But I found it funny and thought that he could go, too. He had worked extremely hard all those decades and deserved his retirement in some nice place. When I stopped laughing, for a short moment, I felt a little sad, like when leaving something very familiar behind, ....and then I just felt somehow empty and very peaceful.
        That was about 3 weeks ago, and "they" haven't returned so far... Since then I have felt much more comfortable with myself and my body, relaxed, confident. There are things I'd like to change about myself/body, but it feels very different now, not critical or pushy at all, just OK - for now. Well, if that isn't a huge gain!
        Thank you, Delilah!

Warm regards,
        canary

Comment

Things are unfolding fine, to a greater extent than expected. Working with all the suggested approaches above, I'm beginning to understand something here. I'm not quite there yet, but I've decided to take the slow train in order to see more clearly what's on the way. I let you know how it unfolded, but it might take a while.

Just one thing I know for sure now: There is no 1 best way to approach an issue, all of the above approaches are "the best one". Thank you all!

Kind regards,
          canary

Comment

Working...
          X