Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting freedom/imperturbability (the six steps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting freedom/imperturbability (the six steps)

Hi there,

In TSM, "want" means lack and we are to let go of "wanting" something (i.e. WA/WC/WS). I had difficulty understanding it but I think I do now.
    However, the first step in "the six steps" says "You must want imperturbability more than you want approval, control and security."

This is something I don't understand. it clearly says you must "want" it rather than letting go of it.
    If you have WA/ WC W/S then you are to let go of them. But what if you have a strong "want" for freedom/imperturbability, what am I supposed to do?

I have actually looked into it before and I had mixed information (not only in this forum). Some said a want is a want and you should let go of it. Some other said this "want" for freedom is not the same as the other wants and it is actually desirable to have this want. Some teachers even say that you must "want" freedom like "a drowning man wanting air."

I'd like some clarification on this.

(I have let go of "wanting" to understand it- which for me seems like coming from W/C and W/S)

Thank you.

Hi terrym!

When we welcome wanting imperturbability, and anything for that matter, when we welcome it fully, open to the want fully, allow it to be here, allow wanting, longing, desiring, yearning to be here fully, then it just turns into flow and the wanting becomes flow. It's when we are contracted around a want that it becomes a problem because often we get stuck in the contraction. But if we welcome __________(fill in the blank) then it becomes flow, delicious, joyful flowing energy.

Warmly,
    Delilah
    www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Thank you Delilah.
      I understand that welcoming whatever want is the way to go.
      But do you mean there is no specific difference between wanting freedom and wanting other things?
      What then Step 1 in the six steps exactly mean?
      To me it sounds like it is distinguishing between wanting freedom/imperturbability and the other three wants...(?)

Comment

Hi terrym!

Welcoming any of the wants fully leads to imperturbability.
        The words are distinguishable in that freedom means freedom from wanting anything. When we are completely free there is no wanting, there are not wants. When we are imperturbable there is no wanting.

The six steps are an outline however Lester, and Hale and all of us contradict ourselves all the time. Lester would ask people if they reached their goals yet? If they said yes, he would then ask if they were happy, free, imperturbable. And he would do the same with imperturbability. If someone said, yes, I am happy, imperturbable, he would then switch and ask if that person reached their goals!

He said that wanting imperturbability is the ultimate want because when we are imperturbable we don't want approval, control or security. We have no wants. No matter where we start from, no matter from which perspective or angle, if we keep releasing we can experience that the freedom and imperturbability we are.

Warmly,
        Delilah
        www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

I remember an analogy from Hale that cleared this up a lot for me, I think it's from the beyond letting go program.

He said that if you fall into a pricky shrub (hope thats the right english word) and you have thorns stuck all over your body, it is perfectly fine and even useful to take one of those thorns and use it as a tool to help you get all the other thorns out of your body and then finally, when they're all gone, you can drop that thorn, too.

To me, the lesson was, that when you're in AGFLAP and the limited parts of CAP, you have to use your desire for freedom as leverage to release all your wanting approval, control, security and seperation programs. If you do not want imperturpability more than those wants, you won't release. Then when you have let go of all your obstacles to freedom, you can drop the want for freedom and be free or find that it just dissolves.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterSch View Post
            I remember an analogy from Hale that cleared this up a lot for me, I think it's from the beyond letting go program.

He said that if you fall into a pricky shrub (hope thats the right english word) and you have thorns stuck all over your body, it is perfectly fine and even useful to take one of those thorns and use it as a tool to help you get all the other thorns out of your body and then finally, when they're all gone, you can drop that thorn, too.

To me, the lesson was, that when you're in AGFLAP and the limited parts of CAP, you have to use your desire for freedom as leverage to release all your wanting approval, control, security and seperation programs. If you do not want imperturpability more than those wants, you won't release. Then when you have let go of all your obstacles to freedom, you can drop the want for freedom and be free or find that it just dissolves.
            Thank you PeterSch, it really helps a lot.

Comment

Working...
            X