Fear of Hell/Eternal Suffering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of Hell/Eternal Suffering.

Greetings all, I have tried searching for the topic of Hell (Christian Fundamentalist idea) and have not found anything, so I would like to pose this question.

Background:
    I grew up in a Christian home, with strict father. I remember fearing God and Hell since an early age. I feared my father too and think these fears may be related. I felt that I could never please my father and perhaps this is transferred over to the fear of God (omg, I may be answering my own question).

Fast forward about 30 years, I'm now an agnostic atheist, but I can't seem to shake the fear of Hell. What if I'm wrong? Everything I know about reality tells me that a Christian God is probably imaginary, but there is that 0.0001% chance I could be completely wrong and end up suffering forever and ever. Well, I don't want to suffer. I don't think I can convert to Christianity that I left. What are some ways I can be completely free of this fear?

hello, and welcome to the forum. I remember once when a student of mine invited me to come along to a Rastafarian celebration, which involved a long coach ride where I sat next to a young man who asked me what I did for a living.
    I said I did astrology and he told me I would burn in hell for that. I asked him if Jah loved his children 'yes'. I asked if I was one of Jah's children ..'yes' and then said ' so if Jah loves me, he won't burn me in hell will he?' The young man had no answer for that and I hope it made him look again at his concept of hell and maybe he could re-examine his belief in hell.

I wonder if you too could welcome that belief that there is a hell?
    and could you let that belief go? would you if you could? when?

and /or
    could you welcome your attachment to a Christian god of hell fire?
    could you welcome your aversion to a Christian god of hell fire.

These approaches could begin to dissolve the fear.

zannierose

Comment

Originally posted by zannierose View Post
      hello, and welcome to the forum. I remember once when a student of mine invited me to come along to a Rastafarian celebration, which involved a long coach ride where I sat next to a young man who asked me what I did for a living.
      I said I did astrology and he told me I would burn in hell for that. I asked him if Jah loved his children 'yes'. I asked if I was one of Jah's children ..'yes' and then said ' so if Jah loves me, he won't burn me in hell will he?' The young man had no answer for that and I hope it made him look again at his concept of hell and maybe he could re-examine his belief in hell.

I wonder if you too could welcome that belief that there is a hell?
      and could you let that belief go? would you if you could? when?

and /or
      could you welcome your attachment to a Christian god of hell fire?
      could you welcome your aversion to a Christian god of hell fire.

These approaches could begin to dissolve the fear.

zannierose

Thanks. Interesting question. I don't know how I could welcome a belief that there is a hell. I really hate for there be a hell, but now I'm sensing the question is a bit different. I'm not asked to welcome Hell but the believe in it. I would gladly let go of that belief at any moment, but part of me Is afraid that it may be real and I'm heading straight for it. For eternity.

I could welcome my aversion to a Christian god of hell fire, but I feel there still could be a minute chance that that hell is real, whether I like or not, believe it or not.

Comment

Hi vk60187!

Synonyms for welcoming are, notice, allow, be with, invite up, etc.

So when clients bring this up in their sessions with me I usually work on releasing the "wants" around this. For more information about the "wants" have a look at TSM book.

The process looks like this:

Notice (AKA welcome) the belief that you have about ____________(fill in the blank).
        Allow that to be here as best you can.
        Does that stir up wanting approval, control, security, separation of oneness?
        Welcome whatever want is stirred up. Take your time with this part.
        Then as best you can, see if you can let go of wanting that want.
        Tip: Remember that a "no" answer is as good as a "yes" answer in releasing. You can still have a great release even with "no" for an answer.

The more you release on the wants around this the less "troublesome" your beliefs or attachments to the beliefs become. Eventually you will not be "troubled" by the belief at all. There are people who are very religious who use The Method to dissolve the discomfort they feel around their theology. And there are people like you who have moved away from the theology that they grew up with who also let go of controversies around their past theology. It doesn't matter what perspective one has regarding their religious ideology. Everyone can reach a place of peace through releasing.

Warmly,
        Delilah
        www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Originally posted by DelilahCertifiedSMCoach View Post
          Hi vk60187!

Synonyms for welcoming are, notice, allow, be with, invite up, etc.

So when clients bring this up in their sessions with me I usually work on releasing the "wants" around this. For more information about the "wants" have a look at TSM book.

The process looks like this:

Notice (AKA welcome) the belief that you have about ____________(fill in the blank).
          Allow that to be here as best you can.
          Does that stir up wanting approval, control, security, separation of oneness?
          Welcome whatever want is stirred up. Take your time with this part.
          Then as best you can, see if you can let go of wanting that want.
          Tip: Remember that a "no" answer is as good as a "yes" answer in releasing. You can still have a great release even with "no" for an answer.

The more you release on the wants around this the less "troublesome" your beliefs or attachments to the beliefs become. Eventually you will not be "troubled" by the belief at all. There are people who are very religious who use The Method to dissolve the discomfort they feel around their theology. And there are people like you who have moved away from the theology that they grew up with who also let go of controversies around their past theology. It doesn't matter what perspective one has regarding their religious ideology. Everyone can reach a place of peace through releasing.

Warmly,
          Delilah
          Thanks, these are very good tips. I find myself having a bit of a struggle making a decision on what I want.
          So, I welcome the feeling of fear of Hell, which to me indicates unending torment, without reprieve and without a possibility that torture will cease. I'm stuck in the furnace and I can't get out and I can't doe. This sounds horrible and is very scary but I'm welcoming it.

This brings up feeling of needing to be accepted just as I am. I am a flawed human being (aren't we all?). I want to be accepted, so this is probably the approval need in your list. I need to be accepted and approved of.

And now I need to let go of this need, and it's here that I'm struggling with. As I do want approval, so I'll have to say that No, I don't want let go of that want. Thanks, there does appear to be a release in this.

Comment

That's great vk60187! Good job!!!
            www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Working...
            X