Are we real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we real?

My 5 year old is constantly asking me, "Mommy, are we real?". Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I should respond to his question? TIA

Denise, Kids ask the best questions, honest and direct. I'm well beyond 5 and I hope you get some great responses. I've been exploring the same thing lately. I'm curious what prompted him to ask such a question. Would you mind asking him that? Would you also ask him what He thinks. I hope Hale responds to your post. What a great post to put before this community. Thanks for putting it out here, and thanks for honoring your childs curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
      My 5 year old is constantly asking me, "Mommy, are we real?". Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I should respond to his question? TIA
      hi denise,

Whatever answer you will give your son , it is what you show him what will be the answer for him

so where life seems real to you, it will seem real to him as well because he is still depending on your

example. You could answer him honestly the way it is for you.

Like: life really seems very very real and there also

is this always existing presence that can never be lost, that is always there.

He will know exactly what you are talking about.

Instead of trying to explain the unexplainable you can

read him fairytales. The old ones, the original ones. They contain the universal truth in them

and they are always about this question your son is asking you and he will

understand de deeper meaning of the stories and take this in on a deeper level.

It will go directly to the unconscious, those truths.

Wonderful question denise, my son also asked those questions when he was a kid.

Enjoy reading him the stories!
      Last edited by Liesbeth; 02-10-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Hi Denise, personally, I would just tell him the only honest thing you can, and that is how you see it. But tell him that too, that it's your perspective on things. And, honestly, the best answer could be "I don't know" followed by a, "what do you feel". If he's allowed to think that everything's possible, but no-one really knows, then he can explore it himself in his way without having to believe anyone (if he can accept that). I'm very interested in seeing what comes out

Comment

I have a quick observation of how our individual filters work.....the original post from Denise simply said "my five year old", but each of us I suspect made assumptions through our own filters. I instantly assumed the child was a little boy. Liesbeth (unless she knows something I do not) speaks of the child being female and Chris Woods makes the assumption the child is male as does Jack. Maybe it is gender based, who knows. All of us males assumed male and the single female responder assumed female. Interesting. Not that any of this matters, but I just found it interesting to observe, not only in myself but in others as well. Another example of how we live life through our filters. Carry on.

Happy Releasing,

-S
          Last edited by stgeorge; 02-10-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Fantastic question!! Simply beautiful

Comment

yes my mistake stgeorge, she talks about his question so it's a boy!
              thanks !

Originally posted by stgeorge View Post
              I have a quick observation of how our individual filters work.....the original post from Denise simply said "my five year old", but each of us I suspect made assumptions through our own filters. I instantly assumed the child was a little boy. Liesbeth (unless she knows something I do not) speaks of the child being female and Chris Woods makes the assumption the child is male as does Jack. Maybe it is gender based, who knows. All of us males assumed male and the single female responder assumed female. Interesting. Not that any of this matters, but I just found it interesting to observe, not only in myself but in others as well. Another example of how we live life through our filters. Carry on.

Happy Releasing,

-S

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorge View Post

Happy Releasing,

-S
                Stgeorge,

I love your observation. Along that line everyone who loved the child's question thinks they know what the child is asking! Perhaps it would be useful to find out more about what the child is actually asking about than to assume that he is asking a 5th way question.

When we engage in the process of self inquiry we often notice that we do the same thing with ourselves. We assume we know what we are thinking, feeling, sensing. When we ask "What is actually here now?", we discover that we were approaching ourselves with all sorts of assumptions, memories, concepts etc.

Great thread!

Delilah
                Last edited by DelilahCertifiedSMCoach; 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM.
                www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Funny thing is, I completely read "the answer to his question" as "the answer to this question" all the same I suppose. I still assumed male. Maybe the other guys read it correctly. Have a great day everyone.

-S

Comment

Funny thing My 8 year old son one day was playing and says I want to be called mr galbraith in my world...I asked him well how do you know it is your world.......he said cause its in my head that is why.........I was thinking to myself at that point WOW no truer words have been spoken....

Shelly

Comment

Thank you guys for all the responses. You are so amzing. And yes, the little one is a boy. Sometimes the question is "is this real?". Jack, I've asked him several times why are you asking and he gives me the typical child answer "I don't know". I sense he knows/remembers the source from which he came and he knows it's not real, but his mind wants it to be real. He is looking to me for confirmation that it's all real. I cannot/will not confirm that for him. I like Chris's response in allowing him to explore it for himself. Also, Liesbeth, I love the advice about reading him old fairy tales. He will love that.

Love,
                      Denise

Comment

Denise,
                        Thanks for starting this string! This is a great question for anyone to ponder. I would agree with the other posts to simply answer with your heart not your head what is real for you. In my experience we are neither real or unreal both are concepts appearing in or on that which we are. However, there are fun questions you can use to explore what is real: If nothing perceived, experience, remember, imagined or thought is real then what is real? or You can look around at anything that is experienced and ask if this is not real what is real?
                        Lester used to say "That which never changes is real."
                        Love,
                        Hale

Comment

Thats interesting....its all interesting!!
                          (Lester)"That which never changes is real" is 'termed' 'knowing awareness' of 'pure presence' sometimes defined by no descriptive words only to be experienced from within.
                          The ocean and the sun(that which never changes), real heart of 'awareness' of nature likened to the deep true nature within... are used in the teachings..thats why.
                          It is interesting BEING around children sometimes too!! Very joyous !! Happy child raising !!

Comment

Working...
                          X