X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ego, & taking thoughts too seriously

Hello

I recently had a revelation when I was consuming some weed
    I realized that everything is all part of the story. I think this was spoken about in some of the audio tapes, but it finally clicked. The stream of thoughts, good and bad, are all a product of my ego. In the moment I could effortlessly release everything, and felt like I had endless possibilities. I really was releasing every thought I had. Since then I seemed to have lost this ability, but my awareness overall has increased.

This is was very life changing, as I was having some "bad days", and I realized these were 100% a result of me taking a single negative thought and allowing it to spiral into a novel of why I cannot do this, why I feel so bad, etc.

When I was sober, a better way I found to phrase it was taking my thoughts too seriously. As in, instead of allowing them to pass, I continue to think why am I feeling this way, and want to change it. This allowed me to regain maybe 60% of what I was feeling that day, but I still want to attain that level of releasing.

My question is, what is a similar thing I can do while sober. The whole thing only really clicks when I am on marijuana. All I tell myself is "everything is part of the story" (as in the story my ego makes), and poof, all negative thoughts and feelings are gone. I really think this is possible while sober but I can not seem to phrase it in a way that makes sense. It's as if I am resisting it from even working, if that makes sense

Can someone who has experienced this type of one line releasing that dissolves everything(like releasing on your whole ego) please input? I felt how powerful this can be first hand, and want to always be in this state of higher awareness.

Hi Grinding,

So when you're straight ask:

Could I notice the story?

Is there any wanting to get rid of or hold onto the story, or both?

Welcome your answer.

Then, Could I let go of wanting to get rid of or hold onto the story, or both?

Welcome your answer.

Or...

Ask, if I don't refer to the mind or the body or memory, can I find the one who has a story?

Best,
    Delilah

www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Oh surely we can not let go of the ego by letting go of one thought. Isn't the ego made of of thousands of thoughts/beliefs/memories?

Comment

Originally posted by kuurt View Post
        Oh surely we can not let go of the ego by letting go of one thought. Isn't the ego made of of thousands of thoughts/beliefs/memories?
        Interesting question... I'm going to let go of wanting to figure that out.

Alex

Comment

Hi Kuurt!

See if you can find the ego. If you can find it let us know where it is.

Best,
          Delilah
          www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

As a student of A Course In Miracles, I know that the ego refers to the separate personal self that we think we are. The ego Is the thought system of the personal self. We are not really separate from Source and each other, but we believe ourselves to be. So the ego is the false self, and it isn't real. But within this illusion of separation in which we live it seems very real just like our body, and we seem to experience it never-the-less. It seems to me that ALL of our problems/grievances/issues that we're trying to heal with the Sedona Method come from this belief that we are a separate personal self. When you are anger at someone for example you are seeing yourself as separate from that person and you're projecting your anger on to them. thereby reinforcing the belief in separation. All the other negative feelings that we experience also seem to reinforce the belief in separation, which is the belief that the ego is built on. The more we heal our minds with the Sedona Method or other methods, the more we dissolve the ego (false self). But the teachers I've learned from make it sound like letting go of the ego is a long road and often takes several lifetimes. Not very many people lose the ego in one lifetime because there is a lot of stuff to heal. That is why I said, "Oh surely we can not let go of the ego by letting go of one thought. Isn't the ego made of of thousands of thoughts/beliefs/memories?". But, the more I think about it, I guess it is possible. Echhart Tolle and Byron Katie supposedly let go of the ego all at once. But I'm pretty sure their experiences were extreme. It's very rare for a person to let go of the ego all at once. Most people do so gradually over time as they heal (let go/release) one thing after another.

Comment

Hi Kuurt!

I have been studying the Course since 1976. The lessons in the course are designed to help you let go of everything you think you know and understand and that would include everything you think you know and understand about the text as well. Everything you've written about here are still just ideas. Can you actually find an ego, the ego? ACIM is channeled material. The instrument that it was channeled through was a psychology professor at Columbia University Teachers College. She was not happy about being chosen for this. But somehow she was able to let go and go beyond everything she knew and ascribed to about everything and was able to allow this non-dual message and instruction to come through her. Our "job" as students of the Course, should we choose to accept it, is to use the Course to go beyond the Course.

Lester says the degree to which we resist one thing is the degree to which we resist everything. So it would follow that the degree to which we let go of one thought is the degree to which we let go of every thought.

If you can be open to the question I asked earlier now, can you find the ego? Where is the ego? You'll see that the ego is also just a collection of ideas. In psychology the concept of the ego has a purpose. And it's a handy device to use when talking about psychological phenomena. But it's still just a collection of ideas, or thoughts if you will, that can be let go instantly by anyone.

Warmly,
              Delilah
              www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

So you just release these ideas/thoughts the same way we're releasing feelings? What are the specific thoughts that we need to release in order to let go of the idea of ego? Seems like there would be thousands of such thoughts that we have that identify us as an ego.

Comment

Hi Kuurt!

The question about releasing thoughts and ideas is useful because a lot of people have thoughts and ideas that they would like to release. There are lots of way to release them. In this instance the question, "Can you find the ego? Where is the ego?" can be helpful because it is not a rhetorical question but a literal question. If I was sitting in the same room with you I would ask you to SHOW me where the ego is. So try that now. Look around and see if you can find the ego and then take your finger and point to it. I am not trying to be funny. I am trying to show you something that you can see for yourself if you answer the literal question. Is the ego in your shoe, is it in your right ear, is it in your stomach, in your forehead? Actually look at see if you can find where it is and then tell me what you have found.

The above questions are relevant to the conversation about thoughts and ideas related to a concept like the ego. But we have thoughts and ideas that, when examined, are tied to feelings. For example, if I have the thought that I am stupid, if I bring awareness to this thought I will find there are feelings that correspond to this thought. I might feel sad or angry or shame. What we do here is release on the feelings that keep the thought of being stupid alive and give it credence so that I no longer resonate with that thought and it just dissolves.

Best,
                  Delilah
                  www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Since the ego is the thought system of separation, it's not something you can point out. I guess you could say it's in your mind as a belief system. And of course the mind is not the brain so it's not something you can point out physically.

if I have the thought that I am stupid, if I bring awareness to this thought I will find there are feelings that correspond to this thought. I might feel sad or angry or shame. What we do here is release on the feelings that keep the thought of being stupid alive and give it credence so that I no longer resonate with that thought and it just dissolves.
                    That makes sense. Does it always work that way? I mean, do we ONLY release on feelings around a thought and NEVER on thoughts themselves? I'm getting to a place in the Sedona Method book where they talk about letting go of our feelings of lacking and wanting control, approval, security, and separation. And for me it's hard to feel any feelings related to these four thoughts. I mean with an actual feeling like anger for example, that's easy to feel in the body and therefore much easier to let go of. But I'm not sure If I have any feelings around these four thoughts, if I do they're very vague or weak. I don't feel them strongly in the body like I did with other things. Not strong enough to feel them go anyways when I try to release them. Seems like to me you really need to feel something in order to release that something, otherwise how will you know you released it?

Comment

Hi Kuurt!

Where is the ego in the mind? Where is the mind? If you can't find them do they really exist in the physical sense? Are they really here or are they just a memory? These questions show us how there is no ego to let go. There is no mind to let go. See if you can let go of wanting to figure any of this out. Wanting to figure things out requires that we hold on to a thing, to study it, in order to figure it out. So could you let go of wanting to figure it out? Welcome whatever your answer is.

And notice how everything you've written above about the ego is just a memory of something you've read before in the past or of something someone told you before in the past. So if you don't refer to memory, can you find an ego? Can you let go of wanting to hold onto the memory of what you've read or what you've been told about the ego? Could you let go of wanting to make that memory real again? Welcome whatever your answer is.

It may be difficult at first to feel the wants. but if you keep playing around with them you'll find the sensations that correspond to the wants in any given moment. You might start with finding the sensations of the feeling first. Can you access grief? Where is the feeling/sensation of grief in the body. Can you access joy? Where is the feeling/sensation of joy in the body? We call them feelings because we feel them in the body. So play around with finding where feelings/sensations are in the body and eventually you'll be able to find the feelings associated with the wants. Look around inside the body. Start with focusing from the chine down. Your throat, chest and stomach tend to experiences feelings/sensations more obviously because of the soft tissue in those parts of the body. but you can feel feelings/sensations everywhere in the body. As you play around with this you'll become more attuned to them.

Best,
                      Delilah
                      Last edited by DelilahCertifiedSMCoach; 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM.
                      www.theaccordcenter.net

Comment

Working...
                      X