X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DelilahCertifiedSMCoach
    replied
    Hi Logan74!

Everyone wants to get rid of uncomfortable feelings, because they are uncomfortable.

Try this:

1. Could you let go of wanting to let go?
    Welcome the answer.
    2. Could you let go of wanting to let go?
    Welcome the answer.

Another way to address suppression is to simply notice any resistance to a feeling or even a sensation (ex. a block from the throat to the chest.) And as best you can could you resist the feeling or sensation as much as you do? Could you just keep welcoming, allowing, noticing, opening to, giving the resistance as much room as it needs, and just keep doing that for a while and then every now and then check and see if you could let go of the resistance. If there is no let go or not a complete let go then go back to welcoming, allowing, noticing, opening to, giving the resistance as much room as it needs, and just keep doing that for a while and then every now and then check and see if you could let go of the resistance.

Also, notice if there is any wanting to figure out what to do about any feelings or sensations, or what they mean, or why they are there and if there is could you welcome that?
    Welcome the answer.
    Then as best you can could you let go of wanting to figure out what to do about any feelings or sensations, or what they mean, or why they are there?
    Welcome the answer.

Please keep us posted on how things go.
    Warmly,
    Delilah
    theaccordcenter@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• Logan74
    replied
    Thanks for the responses!

I sometimes let go of the want and sometimes I don't. If I'm present enough I generally do, like when i'm just focusing on letting go. When I'm doing other activities, I will usually just welcome the feeling and let it go.

I was thinking about my question this morning, and I think I noticed something similar to what Delilah mentioned. I've been dealing with losing a friend from my life who once she she was no longer always there for me I've been really feeling the loss of. And thoughts of our friendship and things she had meant to me keep coming up. When I'm aware enough to be just allow the feelings they usually just naturally let go of themselves, without having to even ask any of the questions; but my mind I guess seeing how well that worked will sometimes start screaming release, release... which I think is a new trick it's come up with for suppression.

But I am finding that when I just welcome the feeling it feels like the feeling or emotion loses energy quickly if there are no thoughts or stories being told about the feeling.

Leave a comment:

• DelilahCertifiedSMCoach
    replied
    Hi Logan74!

Your question is an excellent one. In fact sometimes we do use letting go to try to get rid of an uncomfortable feeling. So to prevent that we can just ask if we are wanting to get rid of a feeling, welcome that, then let go of wanting to get rid of the a feeling. And then, to be thorough, we can ask ourselves to welcome the feeling. We can invite the feeling up and open to it fully. Welcoming is the second most fundamental way to let go, is very powerful, and guards against avoiding things.

...You wrote, "Maybe it's just the effortlessness that it sometimes works that makes me wonder if I haven't just come up with a new way to avoid things."
    Yes, letting go is pretty simple, and effortless, and the mind does tend to suspect things that are simple and effortless. LOL.

Best,
    Delilah
    theaccordcenter@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• zannierose
    replied
    When you release, do you also let go of the want?

Leave a comment:

• Logan74
    started a topic Can Letting Go be Suppression?

Can Letting Go be Suppression?

This might just be my mind/ego trying to sabotage me. I've only been focused on being mindful of releasing in everyday life for the past week, versus just when I'm meditating or doing it as an activity in itself. I'm starting to wonder if I'm releasing too quickly on things that come up in my mind and if I'm making it a habit to not necessarily deal with the emotions and thoughts but to avoid them. Maybe it's just the effortlessness that it sometimes works that makes me wonder if I haven't just come up with a new way to avoid things.
Working...
X